Case Studies \ Earth Tipping Point
Our client, an entrepreneur, was looking to build an online community wherein people could initiate and execute projects to help protect the environment. Members could announce their ideas and garner support and funds from collaborators to help transform their ideas into a project. The implementation and execution of the project could be tracked via the website thereby giving visibility of its progress to all collaborators and supporters. Icreon was roped in to give shape to this community. Earthtippingpoint.com is a result of this endeavor. The website provides a perfect platform for people to connect with, share ideologies and take concrete steps towards saving the environment.
Our client felt the need for a solution that would assist people interested in doing their bit for the environment and encourage them to follow through with their ideas. A lot of people give up such initiatives for lack of support. The solution was aimed at doing away with this problem.
Users were to be provided with the means to register with the website and detail out their projects – including objective, scope, benefits, funds required etc. Options for the members to pledge their support to the project and also for the project owners to invite people to join the project were required. Supports could discuss and share thoughts and ideas on the project with interested people. Members were to earn points for performing various activities within the website
A web based platform to transform ideas into planned environmental projects
Users can register with the website to list their profiles on the website. They can build a network of friends by connecting with other members and adding them as friends.
Members can initiate projects by announcing their ideas to the community. In announcing their ideas members can detail out the scope, goals & objectives, funds required, benefits, risks involved, implementation plan etc. Documents, photos, videos and articles can also be attached with it. All announced project ideas are sent to the administrator for approval, after which it will be available for all to view within the community.
The idea can be transformed to a project only once the project owner has earned the requisite number of points and support from other members. Points can be earned by performing various on the website (such as invite people to sign-up, posting articles/comments, announcing ideas etc).Members can pledge their support by either joining the project or by donating their points.
Project owners also have the option to purchase points. Once adopted, the project implementation can take place. Project owners can post progress updates for collaborators and supporters to keep abreast of the progress.
Google Maps has been integrated with the solution allowing members to track projects that have been undertaken by members across the globe.
The website also allows members to post articles to the community. A multiple-choice quiz can be created and associated with articles. Articles are made public upon approval from the administrator. Thereafter members can browse through submitted articles and can post comments and rate it. They can also participate in the associated quiz. Points are earned for participating in the quiz.
Each member has access to a personalized area wherein he/she can:
- Manage their profiles detailing personal & professional profiles. They also can view and manage their friend list.
- Send and receive messages from other members
- View point statement to see a history of all points that were debited/ credited.
- Track details of payment transactions towards membership subscription and point purchase
Members can go over the various informative pages us (about us, FAQs etc) and news item posted by the admin.
The website is powered by back-end interfaces that allow website administrators to track activities on the website. Each area of the website that can be managed by the admin has been divided into separate sections. Role-based access has been provided within the module.
The various sections available within the admin module include:
- Admin Users: This section can be used to create and manage accounts for users who have access to the administration module. Roles can be created and assigned to users thereby allowing for restrictive access within the module.
- Settings: Herein the users can manage the points that website members earn on performing activities within the website.
- Website Users: This section shows details of all members who have registered with the website. In addition to viewing a member profiles, activities of the members (projects created, articles written etc) can also be tracked. Authorized users can also manage the point balance for the members. They can view the history of points earned by individual members can be viewed and can also debit/credit points.
The section also includes various member reports that allow the administrators to track members who have:
- Terminated their accounts. Options to re-activate terminated accounts have also been provided.
- Created and abandoned their projects
- Made payments towards premium membership
- Abuse reports against them. Action can be taken against such members including blocking the user, putting the user on grace period (during which time he/she will have limited access within the website)
- Projects: Users can track all the projects that have been created by website members. A project must be approved before it is shown on the website. Authorized users can view all such projects and approve the same. Similarly, once approved all changes made to the project need to be approved before being reflected on the website.
- Articles: This section shows details of all articles that have been posted by members. The administrator can approve/reject the same.
Technologies used in developing this application are: